MONTREAL IMPACT FM18 SERIES
It’s the year 2020 an my MLS save with the Montreal Impact is entering its third full season. Below is the latest off season update.
2020 PRESEASON SPECTACULAR
The 2020 off-season for MLS Cup champion Montreal Impact has been a whirlwind of player signings. So many new signings is something you wouldn’t expect from such a young team coming off arguably the best season in club history, but our front office did what had to be done due to the unrelenting pressure from outside forces.
The first unyielding cosmic force that put pressure on our roster was Father Time. It’s a fact of life that players age, and for some this meant that their time with the club had come to an end. For others, however, a new year on the calendar signaled a new beginning for their burgeoning careers as we signed a whopping nine players from our U19 academy.
- -Yaya Toure CM (Retired)
- -Matteo Mancosu ST (Contract Expired)
- -Jared Watts CD (Waiver Draft: Seattle Sounders)
- -Devon Pais AM (Re-entry Draft)
- -David Choiniere RW (Re-entry Draft)
- -Louis AP (Contract Expired)
Academy Players signed to the Senior team:
- -Claude JeanJean CM
- -Goncalo Jesus ST (Loaned to TPS)
- -Vincent Marechal RW
- -Mathieu Madec AM (Loaned to Charleston Battery)
- -Maxime Pantemis FB
- -Kenrich Barbier CM
- -Cedric Brun ST (Loaned to San Antonio FC)
- -Nemanja Mitrovic ST
- -Corentin Blanc DM
The next factor in our massive off season intake was the MLS itself and the numerous drafts it places before each team like an endless buffet of players. The dessert cart of MLS drafts is, of course, the MLS Superdraft. This is where the best and brightest players from the various national U23 systems are put on offer for teams to snap up and add to their plates, err… rosters.
MLS Superdraft Players:
- -Erick Lopes(GA) CM 2nd pick, 1st Round
- -Matt Noyes LW 10th pick, 1st Round
- -Matthew Sweat DM 23rd pick, 1st Round
- -Connor Putna GK 6th pick, 2nd Round
The final factor that drove us to make moves this off season was ambition. The ambition of some individuals on the squad led them to seek more or better opportunities elsewhere as they forced our hands into selling them off. Likewise, the opportunity to play in Champions League competition caused the team to raise its own ambitions and look outside the squad for high value transfers.
Outgoing Players Sold:
- -Jeisson Vargas LW $6M ($7.25M) Hamburg SV
- -Rick Tran FB $34.5K IFK Mariehamm
Incoming Players Bought:
- Junior Ramos CM $88K Bahia
- Jean Kevin Duverne FB $4.5M AS St Etienne
All of these off-season moves have left us with a bloated roster that’s bursting at the seams with young talent. This is something we need to rectify with sales or loans as we get ready for early Champions League games because our roster is too large for the limited MLS registration and we simply have too many young players for our own good. Something has to change in the next month or we risk succumbing to the very forces that drove us to this point.